Mold can be found yearly in indoors and outdoors. Mold grows and flourishes in warm, humid environments. Mold can be found in any outside locations such as shady, damp areas or places where leaves or vegetation is decomposing. Indoor areas can include areas of high humidity, such as basement or showers.
There are quite a few benefits of mold. Mold breaks down dead substances and recycles them back into the ecosystem, creates cheeses, and helps fertilize gardens. Mold can also help our immune system by helping us create antibiotics such as penicillin.
However, there are other molds that are considered dangerous. These molds can damage crops, cause diseases in animals and humans, and form poisonous toxins in food. Mold can also cause allergic reactions such as asthma and other respiratory problems when exposed to their airborne spores. When individuals who are sensitive to molds and are around large doses of mycotoxins (which are produced from the molds), it can cause health complications. However, the same individual that comes in contact with the same dosage exposure may not be effected the same way one would if they suffer from sensitivity to molds.
Other health complications to dangerous molds can be coughing, wheezing, runny nose, irritated eyes or throat, and skin rashes. It is important to check out the toxic and allergenic mold pages to identify which mold is in your home!
Even though there are many steps to remove mold from your home, be sure to contact your mold removal professional! The mold removal professional will conduct tests to determine which type of mold you have (toxic/non-toxic) in order to conclude the best elimination solutions.